June 6, 2011 – Monday
Today was our last day in Venice and the rain which had been holding off broke through. Which in turn meant that all the exhibits we had still been hoping to see, remained, for the most part, unseen.
On a positive note, Anna and I spent copious amounts of time indoors, where we had lots of good conversation. We also might have enough made the large food bills worthwhile. It amazed me how a 5 euro pizza and a 3 euro pop became 11 euros with the cover charge (what the heck is a cover charge? Yeah, a tourist trap) and service fee. Of the 155 euros that I brought along, I am returning with 5. Ouch right? I did the calculations and in three days spent 65 euros on meals alone; in Vienna that’s close to a week’s worth, probably 5/6 days.
We did stumble across a couple art exhibits in our maze and raining stupor. The coolest one of these was a three sided mosaic made from individually painted eggs. All together the exhibit used 3,640,000 wooden eggs! It was really cool how each egg depicted something in today’s (or previous’) cultures that combined into one.
Although I skipped (still not sure if it counts since I informed my teacher beforehand..) the first class of my life and spent a lot more money than if I had stayed back in Vienna I’m glad that I went. Experiencing Venice was so cool and it showed me that even though it’s going to be rough independence looms ever closer and I might as well embrace it now. I’m very glad that I took this opportunity to visit and I think that I made the trip worthwhile and memorable. Another place I can now check off my list to visit.
technically you did not skip since you told the teacher. you had an excused absence.
ReplyDelete