June 19, 2011 – Father’s Day
Today is decision day; do you hike down the mountain or take the cable car? The rain had stopped but overlooking the railing outside the hotel you could see nothing but fog. The air was cool and crisp, weather for jeans, a sweatshirt and rain jacket. I decided to hike down; I wanted that sense of accomplishment. Kati asked if I wanted to her bring my backpack down with her and as much as I wanted to say yes, I said no. I wanted this to be legit.
We headed off a little past noon, the thirty of us who decided to hike; the remaining thirty-five were taking the cable car down later in the afternoon. The fog had cleared up some but the weather was cold and the threat of rain lingered in the clouds above. We trudged along as a group for about 20 min before we hit the Ottohaus where we split off into smaller groups to conquer either the cliffs, what we did the day before, or the meadows, which we decided to try today. By we, I am referring to Anna, Megan, Bob and me. The meadows were beautiful and much easier on our feet; it was along this trek that we saw a mountain goat, of which I snapped a few pictures. Did you know that mountain goats are brown!? I always thought white… perhaps there are variations.
We had lunch at the half way point – I got goulash soup, which came highly recommended from people who had ordered it yesterday, which was steaming hot and very good. Even though the building did have an inside we roughed it on the wooden pick-nick tables outside, huddled in our rain coats to stay out of the wind. I even thought about putting socks on my hands via Doc’s suggestion from years past.
This leg, that had been my favorite yesterday, now held terrifying views as I saw myself plunging down the mountain head first. The rocks were still slick but after the views had been left behind I had no problem hurrying along, mountain-goat style as Doc would call it – jumping down the small rock steps, and took the lead, which I held till the bottom. I felt very satisfied for being leader on the way up and down (for the most part).
We hung around at the last stop before the bottom, so we would not need to wait at the bottom without this gorgeous view. Soon enough however, we got anxious and hurried down to join the others. It was during this last leg that I slipped and fell right unto my butt. As I went down I yelled “Nooo, I was so close to making it without falling!” Haha. Once we got to the bottom and stopped moving, the temperature and cold wind carried right through us as we shivered on the benches waiting for the bus to arrive.
When the bus arrived I kept my sweatshirt and rain jacket on the whole time, enjoying the warmth the bus had to offer. We got back to Vienna about seven in the evening and we headed back to the apartment. I made dinner than hurried back to the subway where I called home to wish Dad a Happy Father’s Day. Not a surprise when Mom answered and said that Dad was out golfing – haha. I then finished my journal for Art and Architecture class since we have to turn them in tomorrow morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment