Monday, June 20, 2011

Falling from the Subway


June 17, 2011

Oh goodness, today was an interesting one. Have you ever had so many odd things happen that you think “Ok, when am I ever going to wake up?” Well, that’s how today was. Started off normally with announcements, about our upcoming Alps hike, at 9 am. Belvedere for class at 10. Grocery shopping for lunch supplies at 12. Anna and I made pasta with carbonara sauce for lunch and I had grapes, and apple strudel to accompany it. 

After lunch we headed out to go shopping at H&M where I was hoping to get those pinky/coral shorts. On our transfer between the U1 and U3 subway we started running to get there in time – like true Europeans I might add – only for a bump between us because we could not correlate which doors to enter and then Anna on the subway floor with her leg between the subway and platform 4 inch gap. How this could possibly happen, I have no idea. She jumped up, with a small amount of assistance from the lady she almost collided with, before the doors could begin closing, thank goodness. Her leg was already bruising in shades of purple and she had scrapes on her thigh, shin and ankle. The shin seemed to have taken the brunt of the fall and I am worried the bone is bruised or her tibia is fractured… She doesn’t want to tell Doc because he probably would not let her go on the trip let alone let her hike, and she doesn’t want him to miss out on this trip because it’s alumni weekend.

We still did go shopping, since Anna was being tough and pretending that her leg was not in pain, where I got two shirts. One of the shirts is a nice fitted button down in a sky blue color and the other is a dark grey tank which looks clubby and professional. Together the price was 19.95 €! However happy I was with the price I was not happy about sizes. I usually wear a size 4/6 at home and this stupid blue shirt is an 8 – Europe stinks.
We continued walking down the shopping street until we got to the Museums Quartier where we went into the international section of Quartier 21. On our way I got stopped by a guy that looked around 18 years old asking me to become a part of this Vienna save the world club. “Luckily” I passed the first test of being over 18 years old. “Unfortunatly” since I did not have a bank account here I was not able to sponsor them. He thanked me for my time and I raced away to where Anna stood snickering. 

We attempted getting into the Kunsthall Wien but they did not accept our museum cards and paying 8.50 did not strike our fancy. Next we attempted going to the modern of contemporary art, Mumok, however they are close till September. Stupid right? We went back into Quartier 21, which is primarily free but the art was too eccentric so we just sat out on their awesome benches for a bit before heading back to the apartment.
We grabbed food for tomorrow from Billa. Sandwich, trail mix, gummies, the jist. After we got back we quickly ate dinner and headed down the road to this park I found on the map for something new. The park was adorable with ponds and sculptures and benches everywhere. We both had our journals and were happily writing when bam, there was a German guy standing next to us speaking German. We looked up in confusion and since it didn’t look like he wanted money I asked if he spoke English. Of course he didn’t but he called his buddy over to give us the jist. He thought Anna was very pretty and asked if we could talk for a while. Anna and I instantly said no and the translator said that the first guy loved her. They were both smoking and their teeth looked brown. They ended up sitting behind us talking and laughing till he left. We were just packing up when another guy came and asked if we would like to buy flowers from his garden (he motioned to the flowers behind us) and again we quickly answered no. Off we went again saying “Tchao” to our friendly German guys.

We scurried back, catching the 13A bus back to the apartment, and then ran to the bench in front of Starbucks to scam off their internet. I sent an e-mail to my parents since we won’t have e-mail till Monday since we are off to the Alps tomorrow morning! We were spoken to in German about three more times after that, each time we just ignored them. One of the times was on the subway back to the apartment. We think the guy was mad that we were talking loudly, although it wasn’t that loud. Whatever old dude… 

Hopefully Anna’s leg looks ok tomorrow morning, but I’m worried. I had her put some ice on it, which we home made. I gave her the egg holder from in the fridge to use as an ice try and it worked fine till I tried to get the ice out and broke it… Hopefully no one notices.. Haha.

Long and eventful day… Goodnight

2 comments:

  1. question: how in the world does a shirt look clubby and professional?

    and oh my gosh, stop complaining about the sizes. it doesn't matter anyways. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shoot, I meant to take that part out... lol. It depends on how you wear the shirt.

    ReplyDelete