Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bring on the Rebels


June 21, 2011

Today for class we actually met in the classroom. Dr. O talked about neo-classical time period, where most the architects were copying. The entire ringstrasse was designed in that fashion. Klimpt was a large part of the ringstrasse but then said that this copying could go on forever and that they needed a new kind of art. This is when he started to become a “rebel”. He was the president and also designed the very first poster for the secession.

After class, Anna and I, along with Kati, who invited herself along, met up with Sung, the guy we met about a month ago from Calvin, for lunch. We went to a restaurant on his suggestion that he heard it served the best wienerschnitzel. That was all fine and dandy with me, but you try wienerschnizel one place, you’ve tried it everywhere. With that thought process, I got the pork medallions which came with green beans wrapped in bacon and a heap of noddles. I was so pleased – I think it was my favorite meal in Vienna thus far! It reminded me a lot of home when we have the steak wrapped in bacon in a similar seasoning. Best part, it was perfectly cooked – yummy!

I then headed back to the institute to grab my backpack I had left behind before going back to the apartment to meet Anna so we could go deregister at the police station. While I waited I continued to read. Unfortunatly, when Anna got back I leaned that the station closes at three and it was now just past four. I asked her if she wanted to go to the Danube for the rest of the afternoon since the sun was blazing and it wouldn’t be comfortable to anything else. We threw on suits and headed out.

When we got to the Danube, there were lots of people and the temperature was perfect for laying out. I had brought my book and finished it before we left. It was very good and kept me engrossed throughout. It even managed to surprise me in the end, which I feel is hard to do since I always try to guess the ending; but, with this one I was never able to guess the whole picture. We stayed until about eight, when the sun started going down and just went back to the apartment where I did some dishes, made penne pasta, and ironed a shirt. I felt like a stereotypical house wife. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment