Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Taste of Budapest


June 11, 2011

This morning my phone alarm went off at 7:40. This was the first time I used my phone alarm and this is how it went off: “It’s time to get up, the time is 7:40. It’s time to get up, the time is 7:40” With that awakening I couldn’t even be mad despite my usual grumpy mood. Today was going to be a good one with a start like that right? Ha – little did I know what was just around the corner. I grabbed my towel and headed into the bathroom to take my shower where thinking that the water would first exit through the faucet and not the shower head, I cranked on the hot water to speed the warming process, only to have water sprayed throughout the entire bathroom. By the time I managed to turn the water off the bathroom was sufficiently doused. Ok, now that I knew that it would exit the head first, let’s try again. This time I turned the knob so that the water exited the faucet first and turned the hot water all the way to the left, like we have to do here in the apartment and had to do in Prague. So I finally got my temperature just how I wanted it and I flipped the switch only to now have the pressure much too high and the head immediately hooked a right and now soaked, literally soaked the bathroom. The floor resembled a lake, my clothes were dripping, new toilet paper roll no longer able to be used and my reflection was invisible through the water droplets covering the mirror.

So much for my good morning right? Well luckily it gets better. My third try was successful and I was squeaky clean before heading down to our buffet breakfast. My eyes buldged and mouth hung ajar as I took in the sights and smells. Could it be? A seemingly American breakfast? It could! I raced around the island gathering food on my plate like a chipmunk would stuff nuts in their mouth and with excitement I sent down to devour my breakfast feast. Right before digging in I reminded myself that most likely none of this seemingly familiar food would taste as such and I should just enjoy the many options. However, I certainly did not need to be worried. My chocolate with chocolate muffin had the perfect amount of moisture, the large French toast slices were perfectly cooked – not too eggy or spongy, and the fruit was delicious. Gotta love Budapest.

By 9 o’clock we were loaded back on the bus and heading out for our guided bus tour of the Pest side. We made our first stop at Heroes’ Square and passed many of their other well known buildings, like the zoo/circus, thermal baths, State Opera, St. Stephen’s Basilica before receiving our free time at quarter to twelve. Anna, Kati and I went walking, with our minds focusing on our next meal. Unfortunately, although probably fortunately, none of us were hungry after our large and fulfilling breakfast so when we did finally stop all I got was a cold Greek soup. I got this on recommendation from Doc because he said that the Hungarians are well known for their cold soups, although this was not the soup to which he had referred. Nonetheless, the soup was a purplish color and that the texture of more liquidy yogurt. At the bottom were cut up pieces of fruit and by the end of the large bowl I was perfectly satisfied to be done with lunch time.

After lunch Kati returned to the Hotel to shower and nap before the evening boat cruise; so, Anna and I walked along the Danube, snapping pictures left and right (we’re not tourists or anything…), until we reached the market. We spent the afternoon there, browsing in shops, where I bought my Budapest ornament – an egg, which is the symbol for good luck. About 4 o’clock, we were both hungry and the thought of their famous chocolate crepes were lingering in our minds, so we finally found a place that didn’t charge up the hoo ha (to use Kati’s lingo) and split a dessert. Another way to tell we’re American tourists is that we split a dessert and asked for tap water to drink. Who would do that other than cheap college Americans? Anyway, they did provide us with the tap waters and we downed the dessert in about a minute. By the time we paid, which we almost did in all euro coins… but instead I took all the coins and gave the poor woman my 5 euro bill, it was time to start heading back to the hotel before dinner. We had out two subway tickets from Doc but figured we might as well walk back and see as much of the city as possible.

By the time we got back we had a half hour before the bus left for the dinner cruise so I checked e-mail and resticked my deodorant before heading out the door. At 6:15 everyone was loaded on the bus and we drove down to the Danube to our awaiting boat, the Rapszodia, which looked a lot like the other two dinner boat cruises we’ve been on: white boat, two floors, partial open area on top floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment