Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Postcard Quality


June 10, 2011

No fieldtrip today so that way we wouldn’t run over our allotted time and miss the bus for Budapest. Before hopping on the bus I snagged a chicken teriyaki foot-long from Subway (the one American franchise that I am eating from based solely on convenience). We left the institute on the charter bus at one o’clock and arrived at our Budapest hotel (Hungary Grand Hotel) at 5:30. Dinner was served at 7 in a buffet fashion. Upon arriving in that room I thought I saw heaven; I had not seen fruits, vegetables or meat in forever and laid out before me was copious amounts of meat with a dish of both fruits and veggies. To start off I had the Hungarian soup specialty, which looked very similar to goulash except that there was no meat and a slice of bread. However on my way back to the table my eyes were distracted by a chocolate looking dessert and so I snagged that before anyone else could get their paws on it. I gobbled my soup and bread down, and then hurriedly returned to line for meat: chicken, pork and beef all stuffed onto one tiny plate with rice in the middle and some fries underneath. There were even a few musicians that kept us entertained throughout the meal.

After check in and dinner at the Hotel we all piled back into the bus for our evening bus tour. During the tour we saw the Buda Castle, Matthias Church, Fishman’s Bastion and Citadella. All of these are located on the Buda side of Budapest. My favorite part of this by far was going up to the top of the hill, the Citadella, where we overlooked the city all lit up. This had been the one thing that I was most excited for and it did not disappoint. The bridges looked beautiful stretching the river and connecting the two sides, Buda and Pest, into one city. I took tons of pictures, trying to get one that could pass as postcard quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment