Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Gem in the Rough

June 8, 2011

It was so wonderful to sleep in! I got ready in half an hour and headed out the door. Today for class we met at the Kunsthistorisches Museum ten to ten, which is twenty minutes later than the usual class start time but because the museum doesn’t open till 10 there was no reason to be there earlier. I brought my backpack to the institute so that I could journal in the park today but before leaving for the museum I checked the forecast and it didn’t look promising. It threatened rain all day (starting at noon, the time our class gets over) and turns into thunderstorms for tonight and tomorrow.

After class, Anna, Kati and I went to the crepe place that we had eaten at before. I got a large crepe with contained fresh fruits, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce; it was delicious and was wonderful to have pears again! Just as we were leaving the outdoor restaurant it started to sprinkle. Luckily we hurried into the subway entrance to avoid the rain which picked up right after we got inside. It is now down pouring; Anna and I are sitting inside dripping wet as I write this journal from the dry environment of the institute.

It actually didn’t rain too long so after I finished typing my journal entries from missed days Anna and I headed back to the apartment. I resituated a few things in my purse and headed out on my own to write in my journal and take pictures at the Belvedere which is just down the road. While I was sitting on the bench a girl about my age came and asked me directions to on how to get to the Museums Quartier and I actually was able to give her directions! What a great feeling. 

Not long after I arrived the sky started to darken and the wind picked up so I took off back to the apartment to grab my umbrella and decided to go get a light dinner at the café Anna and I had stopped by on our block tour we took to find eateries close by. Luckily they had an English menu posted on the door so I went up to the counter to order. I got a simple ham and cheese sandwich and went to sit at a booth to write in my journal. The sandwich came out steaming not too long after and it was delicious! The café was adorable and the waitress spoke wonderful English. I definitely want to go back now that my no repeat restaurant is broken.

While I was sitting there eating and writing a huge rainstorm came in and was pelting down on passerby’s. I stayed inside until the rain let up some and then headed back to the apartment to warm up some apple strudel we had bought at the grocery story yesterday and continue writing in my journal. After my hand grew weary and cramped up I switched to my homework journal which actually is graded and wrote about the museum we went to yesterday and today. Now I’m typing today’s entry before I finish talking about the Kunst Museum and head to bed.

2 comments:

  1. look at you writing and writing away! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best moments during my semester in Spain was when I took my lunch to a bench outside and an Argentinian woman approached me and asked for directions to a famous flamenco place. It was amazing because 1) I knew how to get there, and 2) she thought I was Spanish! :)

    ReplyDelete